Geriatric Physiotherapy is defined as a medical specialty which covers a broad area of concerns regarding people as they continue the process of aging. It commonly focuses on older adults.
Among the conditions that may be treated through geriatric physiotherapy are; osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, joint replacement and more. The form of therapy used aims to restore mobility, increase fitness levels, reduce pain and provide additional benefits.
Geriatric physiotherapy is a proven means for older adults from every level of physical ability to improve their balance and strength, build their confidence and remain active. At MyPhysio FiCoMo Specialist Centre, we begin your treatment with a comprehensive clinical examination which allows us to plan, develop and conduct a customized functional physiotherapy treatment programme.
The treatment programme emphasizes:
1. Balance and coordination: in order to integrate both brain hemispheres.
2. Muscle programme: for improving muscle tone strength and endurance.
3. Aerobic exercise: which will be the central element of the session which improves the cardio respiratory
and musculoskeletal system.
4. Flexibility: to prevent or reduce the risk of injury.
5. Core and breathing exercise: to strengthen the back muscles and to perform proper breathing to enhance the quality of life.